Cassava Cake

My son's yaya before cooks a really delicious cassava cake. Manang plants the cassava, yaya makes it into a cassava cake. It's always a hit every time I bring it in the office. My office mates would immediately attack the cake the moment I put it on the pantry table. Too bad I was not able to ask for the recipe from her.

Now, since we have a garden full of cassava, and I'm craving for a cassava cake, I decided to experiment and make a cassava cake.

Let's start by soaking the peeled and sliced cassava in water for 1-2 hours so it wouldn't be so hard to grate them. Grate finely after soaking.


Extract the liquid from the grated cassava by using a clean cloth. My brother said I should get the residue from the extracted liquid and mix it in the grated cassava to add softness to the mixture. I'll do that next time.

Mix together 8 cups of grated cassava, 2 cups of condensed milk, 1-1/2 cups of evaporated milk, 2 cups of coconut milk, 1/2 cup of butter, 1/2 cup of brown sugar, 1 egg and a pinch of salt. Blend it to make a really fine mixture. Pour in a baking pan or aluminum tray leaving enough space for the topping later.

Steam for 20-30 minutes or until a toothpick or fork comes out clean instead of wet batter when the cake is pricked.

While the cassava is being steamed, prepare the topping. Mix together 1-1/4 cups of evaporated milk, 1/2 cup of coconut milk, 1 can of condensed milk. Cook the mixture over low heat, stir until well blended and thick. Add 1/4 cup grated cheese just before turning off the heat.

When done steaming. Let cool for a while until the cake has settled. Pour the prepared topping over the steamed cake, and broil until the topping becomes golden brown. Let it cool to make it easier to slice.
Don't worry it's worth the wait.
Indulge!

I was so happy that my first try was a hit! I swear the topping was so delicious, I could eat it on it's own.

Dad said after taking a bite : "Bakit ang sarap-sarap nito Mamuy! Next time, lagyan mo ng topping sa gitna."

Me : Huh?! Eh, hindi na yan topping. At saka paano ko naman kaya gagawin yun? Gusto mo lang yata sabihin na dagdagan ko pa ang topping.


0 Nibbles:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

nibble gobble   © 2008. Template Recipes by Emporium Digital

TOP